Sunday 28 December 2014

#192: Go Ice Skating

Being born in Minnesota, I was on skates pretty much as soon as I could walk. I figure skated and played ice hockey and so spent a lot of time (months of the year!) in and around ice rinks growing up. I absolutely loved skating when I was younger.
There's always been something special about ice skating: the smell of a rink, the brisk coldness of the air and that special feel when your skate hits the ice for the first time. And also of course the Zamboni! Of all the words in the English language, I laugh almost every time I say the word Zamboni. It's just such a funny word to say, I love it. (For those of you who don't know what a Zamboni is, it's the machine that cleans and makes new ice).
A Zamboni. Photo credit: jessicakirsh / Shutterstock.com
Like many things on The List, I have not skated in years. Every winter, I would see the festive rinks open and think, 'I must go skating this year' but another year would pass without doing it. Despite it being something I once loved to do, I just didn't make time for it. Luckily in London I had a few different options for checking this off The List: The Natural History Museum, Tower of London, Winter Wonderland and of course the winner, picturesque Somerset House.

I was a bit worried that after so long I'd have forgotten how to balance and that in any attempt to try to regain the skills I once had would have me face down on the ice with a subsequent trip to A&E for broken wrist. So I didn't try any advanced moves and kept to the basics but I was beaming from ear to ear. I enjoyed it so much. Hopefully it won't be another 20 years before I'm back on the ice...

No comments:

Post a Comment