Thursday 6 February 2014

#209: Have a Dry January

I did it! I've successfully made it through January without a drop of alcohol. I'm not saying it's been a fun month, but it certainly has been a healthy and productive one for me and I feel better for it. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that by merely abstaining for a month that somehow my body will have miraculously recovered from the damage it sustains the other 11+ months of the year.  I just wanted to give myself, and my body a break and see what it'd be like.

I've therefore had a very limited social life in January because I didn't trust myself not to cave in and just have one drink when out with friends. In a way, that has made everything (not drinking, eating healthy, no caffeine, focus on work, etc) much easier as I've completely removed myself from places and environments where I would be most tempted to relapse and it's enabled me to do all my 'health kicks' at once.
Last year, I attempted a dry Jan but only made it to the 3rd week. I regretted not following through all the way but there was no way I was going to make it through speed dating, and dating in general, without a drink. And if I hadn't gone speed dating, I would have missed out on something very special that made my 2013 so great.

But this year I was determined to go the full month. I've felt better than I have in a long time and will try to limit my intake in the future. That said, I've got plans for tonight, when I'll be celebrating the arrival of February with a single martini from the Dukes followed by a steak and chips dinner.

After all anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Photo credit: ronstik, Pikoso.kz /shutterstock

1 comment:

  1. I did a 30-day detox this January. Well, I started it after my house guest left so technically 24 days as I wanted to enjoy drinks with her while she was here.

    Anyway, part of that detox is no alcohol or caffeine. Not an easy task for me. It feels good though in the end and makes you appreciate simple things again. Incidentally this detox was a gift from my ex, something I am thankful about that she shared with me.

    ReplyDelete