Tuesday 7 October 2014

#283: Return to Thailand

I often get asked what are my favourite things that I've done on my List. With the benefit of hindsight, I'm proud to look back on all that I've done in my new life, both on The List and not. And while trying to limit my favourite things to just a few is hard, I knew straight away that there was one thing that I wanted to do again properly: Go back to the hotel I first went to by myself in Koh Samui, Thailand.

Though I had moved abroad to London without knowing anyone, my trip to Thailand last year was the first time I'd been on a long holiday by myself and it was a fantastic experience. The problem was that I was 3 months out of a 9-year relationship and 1 day after I found out about the affair and lies. So I arrived in paradise -- broken and raw -- in the deepest darkest moments of my break up. Despite this, I had an amazing and life-changing time. 

Recognising that I was a real mess, I made myself a promise on that trip that I'd scrimp, save, borrow and (metaphorically) steal to make sure that I'd return to enjoy the place properly once I had recovered. 

Nearly 2 years on from the initial bombshell, and 18 months from that first trip, I'm happy to report that I've returned to find it as beautiful, peaceful and calming as I remember it the first time. 

Except this time I can enjoy it properly...much like the rest of my life now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment